Monday 9 January 2017

Time for a new calendar?

The stress of New Year resolutions is well underway. What will you do this year? What was last year like? How will you make this year better? All these pressure both internal and external contribute to January Blues. But why? Why must we make all these supposedly life changing decisions now? You get to experience Christmas which for many is the happiest time of the year and from that high we go straight into this downward period of reflection and pressure to change, to be better. As somebody who suffers from anxiety I really struggle with this time of year, just the idea of reflecting on ones self in such an analytical way is something I struggle with as I struggle to find the positives. In others I excel at finding positive achievements, I love building people up, helping them achieve their goals, but when it comes to myself I struggle. This isn't a constant struggle, but when I'm feeling particularly anxious, these negative feelings raise their ugly head. "You didn't achieve much last year." "What are your plans?" "What are you going to do with your life?" 
It is because of these pressures that I have come to the decision that January should take a long hard look at itself, and decide how it wants to be viewed by the masses. Does it want to be this grumpy, depressing fellow? Or would it rather be known as the cheery month that says, "why don't you put those big decisions on hold? Put your feet up, warm yourself by the fire and watch the Harry Potter films back to back!" Let another month take up the mantle of the resolution! How about a springtime month like April, when everything is re-born? Or a summer month like July, when people are too busy sunning themselves to get stressed?
These whinging are small problems in reality, and overall I know January will come and go, yet part of me fears its passing. What if I don't make any changes? I guess we will just have to wait and see. Until then I'm going to keep writing, keep reading, keep pushing forward when I can, and take advice from Luey and take time to chill. 

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/18427649/?claim=2d84prdhg7n">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment